Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bougainvillea Beginnings



I’ve had a special fondness for bougainvillea since my teens when my family made several trips to New Orleans. Always a lover of color, the bright magenta flowers trailing from Jackson Square wrought iron balconies caught my attention—permanently. When I met a Katrina evacuee and listened to her stories, I also asked if the bougainvillea had survived. Yes! A symbol of hope.

I was thrilled to find, when invited to merienda at a home in Spain, this huge, gorgeous, mother-of-all-bougainvillea! This picture is only a small portion!

I’ve been growing my own hanging baskets of bougainvillea for a few years and this is how the latest one bloomed last year. I bring it in for the winter and even get a few blooms indoors. But this year, once I set it out in the spring, it’s had nothing but leaves! I’ve watered it, fertilized it and given it plenty of sun but got nothing. I’ve even reminded it that it has everything it needs in order to do what it was created to do. Nothing.


Until today. When I brought it down off its hook to water it, eureka, I found the beginnings of a blossom (technically a bract as with poinsettias)! At last!

His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 2 Peter 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment