Monday, March 19, 2012

Hothouse Varieties


Another potentially record-breaking high is forecast for today, and still no air conditioning. I know that some people don’t have air conditioning at all but often their dwellings are built for better air flow or they have a cool basement.

I moved the bougainvillea hanging basket outdoors in order to access the fan; it seems happy enough. Unless the night temperatures drop again—they’re currently in the 50’s, I plan to leave it out there until next winter. Bougainvilleas can be pruned in the spring so I hope to do that soon, making way for more blooms.

Meanwhile, the other plants seem to be enjoying the “hothouse” indoors with daytime temperatures in the low 80’s and nights in the 70’s or perhaps 60’s. These temperatures fit very well with the care guidelines for tropical plants. There’s often an upside to life’s inconveniences. And hopefully this inner heat will be temporary.

My computer is working better now. I’m thankful it’s not like the early ones that had to be kept extremely cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment