Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Another Visitor Whirred In


More rain came yesterday evening in a tremendous downpour with wind so strong that it blew the rain sideways! Though it doused the plants, I’ve learned to water a little anyway because the rain often only wets the leaves and the top inch or two of soil.

Today I had a treat while watering my hanging basket of white-scalloped fuchsia petunias and yellow-green sweet potato vines; a long absent hummingbird whirred in for some sips. Last year one, or sometimes he or she would bring a friend, hummingbird made frequent visits but not this year. Perhaps the intense heat has been too much but today the temperatures are cooler with the rain or maybe I don’t have enough flowers blooming to make it worth their while. At any rate, I have to be careful that the hummingbirds don’t think I’m a flower too since I wear bright colors! Seriously, more than once a hummingbird has flown close to me as though I was a flower! Yikes, that would be traumatic for both of us!

It’s also a Two Red Hibiscus Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment