Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Beauty Queen


Today is another “Red Hibiscus Day” when the Beauty Queen of my garden shows herself. The flowers only last a day and come only occasionally so their appearance is a cause for celebration--though now that I’ve found a special organic fertilizer for palms, hibiscus and other tropicals (Palmtone), perhaps we’ll have more stunning blooms.

I bring my hibiscus indoors at the first frost; it does very well blooming every now and then bringing some color relief to dark winter days—though I have noticed that the blooms are a bit smaller.


I was first taken with red hibiscuses when I was in Spain teaching art. They were everywhere! When I added one to a group painting, I was told that the local name for the flower translated into “Flower of Peace”. So when I returned home, I had to get one. My blossoms turn up in my paintings representing peace.

I’d like to get an orange hibiscus too but I’m waiting for the right color of orange and the right price…

No comments:

Post a Comment