Friday, October 21, 2011

Late Sleepers


I hadn’t had to cover the garden for a couple weeks but last night’s cold told me it was time. It’s usually a hassle to take everything down and cover it but this time, experience made it go quickly.

Since the temperature was to be only in the mid-30’s at 7 am, I left them covered until it warmed more, so they got to “sleep in." The sun doesn’t make its way over the roof to the garden until early afternoon.

I’ll have to bring more plants indoors soon—the ones that will last the winter in furnace-dry air. I’ve tried bringing oregano in, but it gets too dry; it has a better survival rate outdoors. I’ll need to plan a space for each plant that meets its needs for light and my need for it to fit in with the décor; I prefer to not have plants bunched up by a window without design.


I always bring the bougainvillea in. I just found some tiny beginnings of blossoms (bracts)! Bougainvillea’s space has been taken up by books during the summer as most any space in our home may well be. Oh well, it’s time to sort through the bookcases anyway. I used to buy books without knowing much about them; now I’m a lot more selective.

No comments:

Post a Comment