Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Dream Flower?

I dreamed one night that I had planted a beautiful red and purple fuchsia plant in my hanging basket with the fuchsia-colored petunias. Lovely! Of course, I needed to buy one since dreams can show you how things fit together… I was pretty sure that I had seen them at the local garden center and indeed they had a beautiful red and purple fuchsia in full bloom in the front of the group of plants. Not wanting to take their advertising example, I politely chose one further in. For some reason I assumed it was the same, not looking at the label or noticing that it was considerably taller. And that the buds were pink… Maybe the inside part of the flower would be a deeper pink. The day the buds began opening, it was clear that I had a non-cascading, monochromatic, sweet pink fuchsia—not the deep magenta that I had hoped for. Now what? Every time I went out I contemplated its fate; would I find another home for it or plant it in the hanging basket and hope that one day it would grow so tall it would bend down? The stems are pretty stiff so they would likely stay upright. How do I know who would know how to grow a fuchsia? It needed to go in the ground. At last, today was decision day. As I transplanted some other new plants I tried it in one of my long Italian pots. Hmmm…I thought,I have an open space there that’s just the right size and well, it could use something tall. Dug and done. I actually like the pink flowers next to the purple Persian Shield.

No comments:

Post a Comment