Monday, November 21, 2011

Fall Flowers


I finally splurged and bought a few violas to add some color to the stalwart white petunias. I never cover these petunias but they keep blooming—I rarely even water them since they’re in an inconvenient spot for watering.

The violas or Johnny Jump Ups were some of the few flowering plants available since most have been cleared for Christmas trees. These have a lot of spent blooms; some have even gone to seed. Though not in the best shape, they were some of the best of the group, and I can definitely rescue them. Some dead-heading and watering will improve their outlook.

I’ve had to do a lot of trimming today since I was half asleep when I heard Friday night’s cold forecast. Most survived well except for the long branches. It seems the farther a branch was from its source, the more damage it received. With more warm days and mild nights here and there, they may actually sprout new leaves, though those are more vulnerable.

The day started off without much hope for the weather. The forecast was for drizzle off and on all day. The way the sun is shining now, that doesn’t seem likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment