Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Firecracker Surprise


As I sat in the sunroom earlier this week reading the Bible and enjoying my surroundings, I glimpsed a spot of color behind one of my Christmas cacti. Was it a bud? I still have my sense of wonder and was delighted to discover two scarlet buds! Hmm, if this one is budding, maybe the other one is as well. Yes, it had a fully opened pink blossom with another close behind!

My Christmas cacti bloom sporadically and always on the side closest to the window; their firecracker blooms can burst open before I know it. The flowers don’t last very long so I have to enjoy them right away. I turned the pots so that the flowers face me; today I brought the scarlet one off its shelf into full view so I can enjoy its full glory.

Last night as I looked through a houseplant book I was reminded that many of my plants like high humidity. They’re getting plenty today with temperatures in the mid to upper 70’s and lots of rain coming!

The pink and scarlet “firecrackers” and a red hibiscus brighten the gray day.

No comments:

Post a Comment