Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Say “Ah”

I’ve added something new to my garden-a dahlia. I once tried unsuccessfully to grow one from a tuber; maybe this time with that part done for me I can grow these beautiful flowers. My childhood ten-cent garden catalogs would proclaim, “Dahlias—flowers as big as dinner plates!” or a picture of a child standing near a dahlia plant was captioned, “Flowers as large as a child’s head!” Wow! Though labeled as large, my dahlias aren’t anywhere near as big, only three and one half inches in diameter. One of the keys to size, it seems, (besides the particular variety) is to clip the side buds before they open, leaving the main one of the set of three. The second one is opening. I can’t nip it in the bud; not yet--not this time. Most people I’ve encountered pronounce this lovely as, “dalya” as in dally (including myself) but one of my flower shop employers made a point, “Well of course it’s pronounced, ‘dah-lia’; just think of Arlene Dahl.” (U.S. Actress of 1940’s and ‘50s)

No comments:

Post a Comment