Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Nostalgia


When we were young, my sister and I used to walk to the garden center during the summer. It was one of our favorite things to spend our allowance on bedding plants to fill the garden containers my dad made for us out of oil drums. He sliced the drums vertically, welded some kind of feet on them and lined the open edges with a sliced garden hose. Then he filled them with soil.

My sister always bought Sweet Williams (dianthus)--that’s one of the reasons I always grow them. Other reasons are that they are biennials and come back the next year and they bloom like crazy in the spring, continuing to bloom here and there through the summer with another burst in autumn. And for adding easy growing color to the garden, they can’t be beat. It spreads well too, which can be a plus or a minus depending on the setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment