Friday, August 5, 2011

Staying Power


A couple of years ago I took a chance on a new plant at the locally owned garden center since I’m always looking for purple flowers for my garden. It was a little more expensive but I hadn’t seen it anywhere else. Angelonia turned out to be a great “investment” with its spires of small lavender flowers blooming right through the first frost! Though it was sold as an annual, I had nothing to lose to bring it in for the winter. The first one didn’t survive indoor dryness but the one I bought last year not only survived but it’s blooming now in my garden.

However, last spring my carryover flowerless Angelonia looked a little ragged so I set out to the garden center to get another. But instead of getting a replica of the one I already had, the larger Angel Face Angelonia caught my eye. Angel Face has the look and feel of larkspur but is easier to grow (though both Angelonias tend to spiral as they grow).

I had hurriedly planted it in a large pot with many other plants when I traveled but I may transplant it to a larger pot to give it room to grow and mobility to bring it indoors in winter.

Angelonia also does fairly well as cut flowers in small vases.

No comments:

Post a Comment